Iowa Soccer's coaching courses are open to members and non-members. Members are entitled to a discounted course fee. A member is any parent, coach, player or club volunteer/board member/administrator who in the current seasonal year (September through August) has participated within an Iowa Soccer member organization (namely, your club). Non-members are those who participate in a soccer club or league that is not a member of Iowa Soccer (YMCA or church league, for example). If you are unsure about your member status, visit our Member Directory page
to see if your organization or club is listed. If so, then you’re a member!
US Youth Soccer U06/08 and U10/12 Youth Modules
- Introduction and orientation to U06/08 and U10/12, including a philosophy of coaching, based largely upon the characteristics of those ages. Will also cover injuries, team administration, managing risk and the modified laws of the game. Also includes your participation in field sessions featuring age-appropriate activities. Time alloted for your questions as well.
- Iowa Soccer Member $20
- Non-member $30
US Soccer E License
- 18 hour course
- COURSE OUTCOME: Develop the core coaching competencies necessary to effectively teach the 9-12 year old athlete and team. Understand the characteristics and needs of an athlete in the Basic Stage of our long term development model. Establish a foundation of knowledge and experience in order to proceed through the sequence of coaching development courses. Participants must successfully complete both written and practical assessments to receive the E-License.
- Iowa Soccer Member $100
- Non-member $120
- Please note that winter courses may be slightly more expensive due to indoor facility rental. TBD by course.
- A more detailed explanation of the USSF E License, including guidebooks and pre-course assignments, is available at the following link, USSF E License.
US Soccer D License
- 36 hour course scheduled over two weekends. There must be a minimum of 10 weeks between the Instructional Phase (weekend one) and the Performance Review Phase (weekend two).
- Candidates will register separately for each weekend.
- Due to the new structure of the D License, there will be few (if any) second weekend opportunities in 2014 as the new programming is introduced for the first time.
- If applying for the D License course, you must have held an E License for at least six months prior and provide a copy of your E License with your application. No waivers are allowed into the D License.
- Iowa Soccer and Nebraska State Soccer have collaborated to increase the number of D License dates/courses. You may take either weekend in either state, starting in one and finishing in the other. This arrangement is available only between Iowa and Nebraska courses.
- COURSE OUTCOME: Develop the core competencies necessary to effectively teach the 13-14 year old athlete and team. Understand the characteristic and needs of an athlete in the intermediate stage of the Athlete Development Model. Build on a coach’s foundation of knowledge and experience in order to proceed through the sequence of coaching development courses. Participants must complete pre-course assignments and practical coaching examinations to receive the State or National D-License.
- Weekend One -- Instructional
- Iowa Soccer Member $120
- Non-member $140
- Weekend Two -- Performance Review
- Iowa Soccer Member $80
- Non-member $100
- A more detailed explanation of the USSF D License course, including guidebooks and pre-course assignments, is available at the following link, USSF D License.
Hosting a course not already offered
If existing offerings don't already accommodate the coaches in your community, you may request to host a course. Hosting requirements include assigning a person to coordinate an appropriately-sized outdoor or indoor facility, and who will publicize the course to your community. Please note that for the U06/08 and U10/12 Youth Modules and the E Certificate, a minimum of 15 participants is required; for the D License, the minimum is 20.
Contact Ian with your contact information, and indicate the course(s) you'd like to host and on what date(s).