The following articles to the rules underwent changes for the Spring 2021 High School Soccer Season:
• Rule 2-2 – Clarifies the restart when the ball becomes deflated
• Rules 4-1, 4-2 – Removes requirements for jerseys to be tucked in and for mouthguards to be completely white or clear
• Rules 9-1 through 9-3 – Clarifies ball out of play when it touches the referee; adds a drop ball restart when the ball touches the referee
• Rules 13-2, 13-3 – Clarifies that where 3 or more defending players form a wall, all attacking players must be 1 yard from the wall
• Rule 14-1 – Clarifies the position of the goalkeeper to be with at least 1 foot on the goal line
• Rule 16-1 – Clarifies that the ball is in play when it is kicked and moves
Points of emphasis focus on field markings & uniform consistency, player safety, and the pre-game meeting.
The rules changes and points of emphasis are presented by NFHS and NISOA in the following 17 minute video published by NFHS Network. Click on the image below to watch.
NFHS 2020-21 Rules Changes
The 2020-21 NFHS Soccer Rules Book governs matches sanctioned by both the IHSAA and the IGHSAU.
The 2021 Online H.S. Soccer Rules Meeting presentation is required viewing for all high school soccer officials by the IHSAA and IGHSAU. Subject matter this year includes: head injury / concussion protocol, overtime / tie-breaking procedures, conduct rules, filing Online Game Reports, State Tournament dates and locations, rules changes, editorial changes, and points-of-emphasis for referees.
IMPORTANT: Referees are required to watch the entire presentation online at the IHSAA website in order to receive credit and be eligible for post-season assignments.
Resources needed by HS Soccer Referees who will be officiating IHSAA / IGHSAU matches for the 2021 Spring Season are located in Box in an NFHS folder. The information there includes:
• NFHS Soccer Rules Changes / Interpretations
• Situations and Rulings
• Overtime Procedures
• IHSAA Officials' Manual
• Crew Cards