The Iowa Referee Committee (IRC) Registrar, Tyler Turner, has OPENED the 2021 Recertification & Registration Window with US Soccer for all Iowa referees, assessors, assignors, and instructors. The window will remain open through December 31, 2020 after which late fees will be applied.
Iowa is a Learning Center state. Recertification & Registration is accomplished entirely through the US Soccer Learning Center.
If you registered for 2020, your licenses were extended through December 31, 2021 at no cost to you. You do not have to register. (See 2020 License Extension through 2021 below.)
If you did not register for 2020 but were registered in 2017, 2018, and/or 2019 and want to re-register, you must complete the applicable recertification module(s).
Each recertification module has 5 assignments:
• Background Screening – required for those age 18 and older; cost is $30 and is good for 2 years; allow 2 weeks for a determination
• SafeSport – certification required annually by law for those age 18 and older; a 90 minute module; also available in Spanish
• Intro to Safety – concussion awareness, Emergency Action Plans (EAPs), heat stroke, cold weather playing, lightning guidelines; a 30 minute presentation; also available in Spanish
• Laws of the Game Refresher – a less than 30 minute slide presentation; also available in Spanish as Repaso de los cambios y aclaraciones de las Reglas de Juego 2020/21
• License-specific Quiz – 25 correct answers required
If you are renewing multiple licenses, you only have to complete a common assignment once, e.g., Intro to Safety. Click on the Grassroots Recertification Module below that corresponds to your most recent license to recertify and register:
• IA – ONLINE 2020-21 GRASSROOTS REFEREE RECERTIFICATION MODULE
Árbitro de Base, curso en español
• IOWA – CURSO VIRTUAL DE RECERTIFICACION DE ARBITRO DE BASE, 2020-2021
• IA – ONLINE 2020-21 GRASSROOTS ASSESSOR RECERTIFICATION MODULE
• IA – ONLINE 2020-21 GRASSROOTS ASSIGNOR RECERTIFICATION MODULE
• IA – ONLINE 2020-21 GRASSROOTS INSTRUCTOR RECERTIFICATION MODULE
If you were previously a Regional Referee or Regional Assessor but let your license(s) expire, contact the State Director of Assessment (SDA), Lance Mesman, re: your registration.
If you were previously a Regional Instructor but let your license expire, contact the State Director of Instruction (SDI), R. C. (Chip) Walaska, re: your registration.
If you satisfy the requirements to register as an Emeritus Regional Referee, contact the State Director of Assessment (SDA), Lance Mesman.
2020 License Extension through 2021
For this registration cycle, your 2020 licenses were extended through December 31, 2021 AT NO CO$T to you. US Soccer completed this activity mid-August.
However, you need to be current with the following certifications:
• Background Screening – if expired; required for those age 18 and older; cost is $30 and is good for 2 years; allow 2 weeks for a determination
• SafeSport – certification required annually by law for those age 18 and older; a less than 30 minute refresher; also available in Spanish
• Intro to Safety – concussion awareness, Emergency Action Plans (EAPs), heat stroke, cold weather playing, lightning guidelines; a 30 minute refresher; also available in Spanish
You can check the expiration dates for each of the above in your Learning Center Profile.
• Laws of the Game Update – new for 2020-21; a less than 30 minute slide presentation; also available in Spanish as Repaso de los cambios y aclaraciones de las Reglas de Juego 2020/21
You can confirm completion of the laws update under MY COURSES.
These 4 assignments can also be found under SUPPLEMENTAL COURSES in the US Soccer Learning Center:
• Hover over COURSES
• Click on AVAILABLE COURSES
• Select SUPPLEMENTAL COURSES
Click on one of the assignments as shown at left to begin. Once you've completed it, be sure to click on SUBMIT in order to receive credit.
License Suspension: You are responsible for keeping these certifications current. If you let them expire, your license(s) will be suspended until you renew. You should receive e-Mail notification from the Learning Center when an expiration date is near.
In order to respond more quickly to your Learning Center and Recertification & Registration questions this cycle, the Iowa Referee Committee (IRC) has implemented a HelpDesk for Iowa referees, assignors, assessors, and instructors. If you have a question, send an e-Mail to:
Se habla español.
Distribution of Referee Badges
Official Sports International (OSI) will begin to distribute 2021 Badges to registered Iowa referees in November. Make sure that your mailing address is current in your Learning Center Profile.
Questions or Concerns?
If you have questions about the 2021 Recertification / Registration process, e-Mail the SDI, R. C. (Chip) Walaska.
If you have questions about your 2021 Badge, e-Mail the Registrar, Tyler Turner.
If you have questions or concerns regarding your Learning Center Profile, Background Check, or status of your registration, e-Mail US Soccer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to learn more about the new US Soccer Learning Center, go to our Learning Center page.
Recertification vs. Registration
Unsure of the difference between Recertification and Registration? See below...
The Laws change. Memoranda are issued every year. Recertification ensures that you have been made aware of the changes and of any points-of-emphasis for the next registration year. Certified means you have satisfied US Soccer's annual continuing education requirement. Referees will typically meet this requirement by completing the appropriate Recertification Course, i.e., Grassroots or Regional, in the US Soccer Learning Center.
You must register with US Soccer every year. Registered means you are current with your annual registration fees and have been issued a Badge for that year. For this registration period, the window is open from September 1 through December 31, 2020. Please register during this window. If you register late, outside the window, you will be assessed a late fee. After your Registration is approved by the Registrar, you'll receive a new Badge in the mail from Official Sports International (OSI) late Fall. The earlier you register, the sooner you'll receive your new Badge. If you register too late, you may not receive a mailing.