The Iowa Referee Committee (IRC) Registrar, Tyler Turner, has OPENED the 2022 Recertification & Registration Window with US Soccer for all Iowa Referees, Assessors, Assignors, and Instructors. US Soccer's 2022 registration year began on July 1, 2021.
Iowa is a Learning Center state. Recertification & Registration is accomplished entirely through the US Soccer Learning Center.
If you did not register for 2021 but were registered in 2019 and/or 2020 and want to re-register, you must complete the applicable recertification module(s).
To begin any of the recertification modules listed below, click on the module link, then login to the Learning Center, and select Course Timeline to view the assignments. If you are renewing multiple licenses, you only have to complete a common assignment once, e.g., Intro to Safety. Click on the recertification module that corresponds to your most recent license to recertify and register.
• IA – 2021-22 ONLINE GRASSROOTS REFEREE RECERTIFICATION MODULE
Árbitro de Base, curso en español
• IOWA – CURSO VIRTUAL DE RECERTIFICACIÓN DE ÁRBITRO DE BASE, 2021-2022
• IA – 2021-22 ONLINE GRASSROOTS ASSESSOR RECERTIFICATION MODULE
• IA – 2021-22 ONLINE GRASSROOTS ASSIGNOR CERTIFICATION / RECERTIFICATION MODULE
The Grassroots Assignor module is a new curriculum developed by US Soccer and is by invitation only. If you need to recertify as an Assignor or want to become an Assignor, contact the State Director of Assignment, Lou Agocs.
• IA – 2021-22 ONLINE GRASSROOTS INSTRUCTOR RECERTIFICATION MODULE
• IA – 2021-22 ONLINE REGIONAL REFEREE RECERTIFICATION MODULE
• IA – 2021-22 ONLINE REGIONAL ASSESSOR RECERTIFICATION MODULE
• IA – 2021-22 ONLINE REGIONAL INSTRUCTOR RECERTIFICATION MODULE
Regional Emeritus Referee
• IA – 2021-22 ONLINE REGIONAL EMERITUS REFEREE RECERTIFICATION MODULE
If you now satisfy the requirements to register as an Regional Emeritus Referee for the first time, contact the State Director of Assessment (SDA), Lance Mesman.
Risk Management Certifications
You must always be current with the following certification assignments:
• Background Screening – if expired; required for those age 18 and older; cost is $30 and is good for 2 years; allow 2 weeks for a determination
• SafeSport – certification required annually by law for those age 18 and older; a less than 30 minute refresher; also available in Spanish
• Intro to Safety – concussion awareness, Emergency Action Plans (EAPs), heat stroke, cold weather playing, lightning guidelines; a 30 minute refresher; also available in Spanish
You can check the expiration dates for each of the above in your Learning Center Profile.
• Laws of the Game Update for 2021-22; a less than 30 minute slide presentation; also available in Spanish as Repaso de los cambios y aclaraciones de las Reglas de Juego 2021/22
These 4 assignments can also be found under SUPPLEMENTAL COURSES in the US Soccer Learning Center (shown left):
• Hover over COURSES
• Click on AVAILABLE COURSES
• Select SUPPLEMENTAL COURSES
Click on one of the assignments to begin. Once you've completed it, be sure to click on SUBMIT in order to receive credit.
License Suspension: You are responsible for keeping these certifications current. If you let them expire, your license(s) will be suspended until you renew. You should receive e-Mail notification from the Learning Center when an expiration date is near.
In order to respond more quickly to your Learning Center and Recertification & Registration questions this cycle, the Iowa Referee Committee (IRC) has implemented a HelpDesk for Iowa Referees, Assessors, Assignors, and Instructors. If you have a question, send an e-Mail to:
Se habla español.
Distribution of Referee Badges
Official Sports International (OSI) will begin distributing 2022 Badges to registered Iowa referees in November 2021. Make sure that your mailing address is current in your Learning Center Profile.
Questions or Concerns?
If you have questions about the 2022 Recertification / Registration process, e-Mail the SDI, R. C. (Chip) Walaska.
If you have questions about your 2022 Badge, e-Mail the Registrar, Tyler Turner.
If you have questions or concerns regarding your Learning Center Profile, Background Check, or status of your registration, e-Mail US Soccer at email@example.com.
If you would like to learn more about the new US Soccer Learning Center, go to our Learning Center page.
Recertification vs. Registration
Unsure of the difference between Recertification and Registration? See below...
The Laws change. Memoranda are issued every year. Recertification ensures that you have been made aware of the changes and of any points-of-emphasis for the next registration year. Certified means you have satisfied US Soccer's annual continuing education requirement. Referees will meet this requirement by completing the appropriate Recertification Course, i.e., Grassroots or Regional, in the US Soccer Learning Center.
You must register with US Soccer every year. Registered means you are current with your annual registration fees and have been issued a Badge for that year. After your Registration is approved by the Registrar, you'll receive a new Badge in the mail from Official Sports International (OSI). The earlier you register, the sooner you'll receive your new Badge.