resources & instruction
These resources contain information and tools needed by U.S. Soccer referees, assistant referees, and 4th officials assigned to USL League Two, National Premier Soccer League (NPSL), and United Premier Soccer League (UPSL) matches in 2021.
USL League 2 (USL2)
USL League Two (USL2) is the leader in pre-professional soccer in the United States and Canada. USL2 franchises provide the elite amateur U23 player an opportunity to train and compete at the highest level while maintaining collegiate eligibility.
- Iowa’s USL2 team is the Des Moines Menace.
- The Menace play at Valley Stadium in West Des Moines.
National Premier Soccer League (NPSL)
The National Premier Soccer League (NPSL) is one of the largest men’s soccer leagues in the U.S. with over 90 teams competing across the country. The NPSL is a successor to the Men’s Premier Soccer League (MPSL) which was formed in 2002.
- Sioux Falls Thunder FC is the NPSL team in neighboring South Dakota.
- The Thunder play at the University of Sioux Falls Sports Complex.
United Premier Soccer League (UPSL)
United Premier Soccer League (UPSL) club membership includes over 300 teams nationally. The league operates with a Promotion-Relegation system and runs 2 playing seasons in a 12-month window.
- The Iowa Raptors and Des Moines United FC are Iowa's 2 UPSL teams.
- The Raptors play at Prairie High School Stadium in Cedar Rapids.
- United play at Valley Stadium in West Des Moines.
Box folder for all three leagues
Go to the "USL" folder in Box
- Laws of the Game with Interpretations and Guidelines
- FIFA Considerations
- Report Codes for Cautionable and Sending-Off Offenses
- Referee manuals
- 4th Official game log, substitution passes, and referee report forms
- Procedures for tie-breaking Kicks From the Mark (KFTM)
Just-in-Time (JIT) training for the Duties of the 4th Official and tie-breaking Kicks From The Mark (KFTM)
Determining the Outcome of a Match: From the 2021-22 IFAB Laws of the Game (LOTG), these are the procedures to be followed for taking tie-breaking kicks from the Penalty Mark for those competitions where a winner must be determined.
4th Official: These are the roles and responsibilities of the 4th Official (when one is appointed) as summarized from the U.S. Soccer publication Guide for 4th Officials.