Developing through mentorship & Assessment
Watch this space for information on a Grassroots Referee Mentor Program. The IRC continues to focus attention on this topic and how to best utilize our Regional and Emeritus referees, instructors / assessors, and members of the IRC Advanced Referee Program.
Mentoring is provided at the Spring and Fall Iowa Soccer Championship Series (ISCS) and the Boys and Girls State High School Soccer Tournaments. Virtual mentoring has also been provided using HUDL.
Please use the Referee Evaluation Form (Google Form) to provide a record of your observations; when submitted, the form goes to State Director of Assessment Lance Mesman.
- You will be emailed a copy of your completed form which you can forward to the referee you evaluated.
- This form is also accessible to mentors in the 'Team' App under DOCUMENTS. Go to the Social Media page for more information about 'Team'.
Questions? Contact State Director of Mentoring (SDM) Dallon Christensen, if you'd like to know more.
You can request an Assessment by submitting the form below. All areas of the form must be filled out unless indicated otherwise. When requesting an assessment, be sure to allow 14 days from the scheduled match.
For upgrades, please note the following:
- Be sure to have satisfied time-in-grade and have an acceptable number of rateable matches completed at the required level.
- Be sure to have had at least 1 Maintenance or Developmental Assessment performed by an approved assessor during the previous 6 months.
- Allow good prior notice to your assignors so that they can assign you to acceptable matches for the level you are working towards.?
U.S. Soccer Assessment Calendar
U.S. Soccer has begun enforcing their policy of a July 1 to June 30 assessment calendar for renewing Regional Referee licenses. In the past, the IRC had allowed required assessments to be completed during a calendar year. The IRC's assessment calendar is aligned with U.S. Soccer's.
- For example, if a Regional Referee wants to renew his/her Regional license for 2023, he/she will have to get the required assessments completed between July 1, 2021 and June 30, 2022. In the past, the IRC would have allowed this referee to complete the required assessments between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2022.
- This change will require some planning on the part of referees to complete any required assessments earlier than in the past.
- NOTE: The fitness test and any written test also have to be taken during the same July 1 to June 30 window.
Questions? Contact State Director of Assessment (SDA) Lance Mesman.