Step One: Grassroots Referee Course
The Grassroots Referee Course has both an online and an instructor-led, in-person component. Online assignments are completed in the U.S. Soccer Learning Center before attending the in-person clinic.
In-person courses are listed in the Event Calendar. If you find one that you are interested in taking, click on the course and follow the instructions provided to create a Learning Center Profile and register. The cost is $62.50, and you pay online. Credit cards, debit cards, or pre-paid cards issued by VISA, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express are accepted.
After you have created a Profile and registered / paid for a course, you can enter its online CLASSROOM. There are 6 tasks you must complete under the ASSIGNMENTS tab. These must be completed before attending the in-person clinic:
- Background Screening (Required for ages 18 and older)
- SafeSport Training (90 minute module required for ages 18 and older)
- Introduction to Safe and Healthy Playing Environments (30 minute presentation)
- Online Grassroots Referee Course (4 hour module - go at your own pace)
- 2022-23 Laws of the Game Update
- First Time Grassroots Referee Quiz (Do this last)
IMPORTANT: As you complete each assignment, be sure to click on ‘Save and Confirm’. For the longer assignments, periodically save your progress every 15-20 minutes.
Upon completion of the 4 hour Online Grassroots Referee Course assignment, you will be issued a completion certificate downloadable from your Learning Center Profile.
Don't see a Grassroots Referee Course scheduled near you but you'd like to get started right away?
Then register for the 2022-23 Grassroots Pre-Course in the Learning Center, from which you will be able to complete the online assignments ahead of time.
- After clicking the pre-course link (below), you will need to then search the database by "location" - enter "Iowa" and then the statewide list will be available.
- Then, when a course is listed in your part of the state, simply request your registration be transferred to the in-person course of your choice by sending an e-Mail to IARefereeHelpDesk@gmail.com. All your completed assignments will be transferred to the Grassroots Referee Course that you want to attend and there is no transfer fee.
- If you need additional help, consult the Learning Center User Guide. You can also eMail the IRC Help Desk, IARefereeHelpDesk@gmail.com.